Interview with Roy Creighton
The interview with Roy Creighton was recorded on 26th November 2013 at his home in Huntingfield Road, Meopham.
Roy Creighton was born at Cliffe, 26th April 1924. Parents William Creighton and Ethel Mary Creighton nee Natman.
Schooling and Early Years
His schooling and childhood was in Cliffe until air raids started, then left to stay with elder sister.
Volunteered for Marines and stayed until 1946. Met future wife while stationed in London waiting for de-mob. Married in Cliffe.
Living at Vigo Camp
Strood Council gave them Nissan hut at Vigo with 2 bedrooms, a living room and outside toilet. Stayed there 3 years.
Move to Station Road
Moved to Station Road as he worked for Mr Fletcher who had bought a house there. Stayed there 11 years.
Worked for Mr Fletcher and then Judson and finally Charrington’s as coaler for 43 years. Talks about the work and Railway Sidings, where coal was kept. Fletcher took over Judson's house.
Owned by Mr Judson, who ran coal business from house. Stable for horses and a large well in the garden. Large garden with fruit trees.
Part-time work as coaling not well paid so did gardening and some work for the village builder, Mr Roots.
Mentions many of the shops in the village. Everything necessary available. Occasionally went to Gravesend for clothes.
Bus to Gravesend and also cycled a lot.
Farmers and Other Landowners
French family owned large farm. Smith-Masters owned a lot of the land in the village.
Remembers the Coronation and the Queen arriving at Meopham Station. Street parties and fancy dress. Men dressed as women playing football to raise money for charity. Fêtes in the meadow opposite the Village Hall.
Was very involved in the Monarch's Speedway Club from beginning until it finished because of lack of interest. Describes in detail the set-up and organisation.
Photo of Monarch’s Speedway
Discusses the photo of Monarch's Speedway, which the interviewer shows him.
Member of football club until he was 35. Club in Gravesend League and won cups and medals. King’s Arms was HQ
Mentions the original houses in Norwood Lane. Talks about agricultural land being used for new housing in Cheyne Walk, Cricketers Drive, Pitfield and Huntingfield. Mr Sweetlove had dairy farm where School Close is now and supplied milk to most villagers. Huntingfield built just after war. Pippins on another piece of farmland. Old Vicarage made into flats. Pubs altered. Shops disappeared.
Village split into three: Hook Green, The Street area and the Green. People keep to own section.
Own children went to Primary School. Mr Strand was headmaster and did a lot for the village with organising and helping clubs and fêtes and did not boast about it.
Own Children and Grandchildren
Spoke about his own children and grandchildren and their successes.